Are you getting ready to celebrate a child’s birthday? The BWH Parties with Purpose program is a meaningful and fun way to honor your child’s special day while experiencing the joy of giving back. By organizing a party with purpose, you will give your child the greatest gift of all—the reward of helping others.
Let’s get this party started! Here’s how:
- Let our team know about your upcoming birthday party
- Read the Frequently Asked Questions below
- Wait for your BWH birthday party box in the mail
- Celebrate your party with purpose!
Frequently Asked Questions
What does the BWH Parties with Purpose program support?+
Funds go to the Stork Fund, which supports newborn medicine at BWH, benefiting our smallest and most vulnerable patients. This includes areas such as the Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU), fetal cardiac surgery, high risk obstetrics, and educational materials for expecting parents.
Why organize a birthday party to benefit BWH?+
Welcoming almost 8,000 babies per year, BWH is the birthing destination for families in Boston and beyond. By organizing a birthday party for your child instead of, or in addition to, traditional presents, you can honor your child’s special day while giving back.
What is in the birthday box my child will receive?+
When you pledge your child’s birthday to support BWH, we will send out a birthday party box that includes a BWH bear, birthday banner, party favors and branded thank you cards.
How can I spread the word about making a gift in honor of my child’s birthday?+
Here are some tips to help you spread the word:
- Our team will help you set up your personal fundraising page on CrowdRise. When you create your invitation, be sure to include your link on print invitations or evites. Need a shorter URL? Free services like bitly.com or ow.ly will create one for you.
- Use the BWH Parties with Purpose logo and customizable invitation, which can be emailed or printed. (download the invitation, download the logo)
- Email your extended network and share that your child’s birthday will be celebrated this year by giving back and helping all babies born at BWH have the best possible chance for a healthy life. Note that, even if people cannot attend the actual birthday party, they can make a gift of any amount in your child’s honor.
- Ask, ask, and ask again. Generally, it takes three “asks” before a person responds with a donation. So, if someone does not respond to an email, it does not mean no! Plan to reach out to your network several times.
- Use social media, as described in the section that follows.
How can I use social media to share about my child’s party for purpose?+
Here are some helpful tips and tools:
- Post on Facebook:
- First, make sure to “Like” the Brigham and Women’s Hospital Facebook page.
- When posting on your own page, tag BWH in the message by typing @BrighamandWomensHospital.
- For example:
Hard to believe Michael is turning two next month! Our house is full of more trucks, puzzles and books it can hold, so instead of birthday gifts, we are giving back to @BrighamandWomensHospital. Please celebrate with us by making a donation in Michael’s honor.
- Label your post with a special hashtag (#) such as #BWHbirthday, #BWHstorkfund, or #BWHpartieswithpurpose
- Post on Twitter:
- “Follow” the Brigham and Women’s Hospital Twitter page
- Tweet a message about your child’s birthday and include BWH’s Twitter handle: @BrighamWomens. For example:
For Michael’s 2nd birthday we are giving back to @BrighamandWomens! Join us by making a gift in his honor. #BWHpartieswithpurpose
- Encourage sharing:
- Ask your friends and family to share your Facebook posts or retweet your Twitter messages.
- Acknowledge gifts:
- Send a tweet or updated Facebook status to thank people when they make a donation.
- For example:
Thank you, @AdrienneRoss, for your donation in honor of Michael’s 2nd birthday in support of @BrighamandWomensHospital! Maybe he will share some cake with you!
- Use pictures:
- Everyone loves photos and they get the most attention in busy newsfeeds. Who can resist a cute baby picture?
- For example:
This big guy is celebrating his 2nd birthday in the best way, by giving back to help other babies. Keep Michael smiling by making a donation! #BWHpartieswithpurpose @BrighamandWomensHospital
How do I collect donations made in honor of my child’s birthday?+
Donations may be made online or offline, by credit card, personal check, or cash.
- Online donations are any donations made online through your CrowdRise fundraising page or other online donation pages. If someone wishes to make a birthday gift online, direct them to your fundraising page and the gift will be reflected on your page in real time.
- Offline donations include personal or cashier’s checks (made out to Brigham and Women’s Hospital). BWH cannot accept checks made payable to the child or parents organizing the party. Party hosts are asked to mail checks payable to Brigham and Women’s Hospital, with the birthday party honoree’s name listed on the memo line, to:
- BWH Development Office
Attn: BWH Parties with Purpose Program
116 Huntington Avenue, Third Floor Boston, MA 02116
- Note: Our team will add “offline” gifts to your CrowdRise page once checks are received in our office. This will allow your network to see the total amount of dollars raised in honor of your child’s birthday.
How should I thank my donors?+
Thank you cards are included in the birthday box, and we encourage you to write personal notes to your friends and family. Shout-outs on social media also work well. Either way, please do reach out with a thank you message, and remember to add a personal touch.
Donors will also receive an acknowledgment letter and tax receipt for donations from the BWH Development Office.
May I use the BWH logo?+
Party hosts are encouraged to use the BWH Parties with Purpose graphic identity, which notes “benefiting Brigham and Women’s Hospital.” (Download the logo)
For more information about starting a community fundraiser, please contact Katie Kilkelly, assistant director of fundraising events, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-424-4191.