One hospital, two extraordinary marathon teams.
This year, Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) is excited to assemble two outstanding Boston Marathon teams: the Life.Giving.Breakthroughs Marathon Team, dedicated to raising funds across all disciplines and disease areas at BWH; and the Stepping Strong Marathon Team, initiated by a Boston Marathon bombing survivor, and dedicated to fueling innovative research and clinical programs to advance trauma healing. A proud partner with the Boston Athletic Association (B.A.A.), our runners are united in a powerful mission: to transform the future of medicine for patients and families here in Boston and around the world.
Since 1998, BWH has raised more than $6.6 million through its marathon program. Make a difference in the lives of patients and families for generations to come by supporting our 2015 BWH marathon program.
Why We Run
The funds we raise in 2105 will make it possible to truly advance the kind of care we offer our patients. Here’s how:
- By accelerating cures—in areas such as neurosciences, where BWH is launching the world’s first preventive clinical trial for a potential treatment for Alzheimer’s
- By transforming patient care—in areas such as cancer, where our treatments will become more personalized and precise, and trauma care,Â where we are developing better methods to regenerate skin and heal wounds
- By advancing cutting-edge traumaÂ research—in limb reconstruction, orthopedic and plastic surgery, advanced stem cell technology, and bioengineering
- By educating and inspiring the next generation of healthcare leaders—who will perpetuate life-giving breakthroughs for generations to come
- By investing in capital projects, like the Brigham Building of the Future—where collisions of collaboration will truly transform medicine, and our Newborn Intensive Care Unit—where we care for our tiniest, most vulnerable patients
Thank you for your shared commitment and passion to achieving life-saving medical breakthroughs that will transform the future of medicine through the BWH marathon program. We look forward to cheering the runners on to the finish line on April 20!
BWH Team Experience
Our BWH teams are more than two groups of runners—we are a family comprised of first-time runners, experienced marathoners, BWH employees, grateful patients, and friends who want to participate in our marathon program and represent the hospital.
Here are some of the benefits we offer our runners:
- Fundraising assistance including a fundraising website and valuable emails with advice, tips, and helpful hints to keep your fundraising total growing
- Personalized training including weekend runs, weekly hill runs, and a dedicated team of professional athletic trainers and physical therapists to prepare you for race day|
- Branded team apparel and other BWH swag
- Team-building meetings with information about fundraising, nutrition, and marathon weekend activities and logistics
- Team socials where BWH runners can meet and mingle
- A dedicated water/snack station during long-run training
- Team pasta dinner the evening before the race for runners, their family, and friends
- Worry-free logistics including a heated VIP tent in Hopkinton the morning of the race, breakfast and much more
- A post-race celebration for runners and their families to receive lunch, complimentary massages, and immediate access to trainers and physicians