FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: What is Step Up for Stepping Strong and what does it support?
A: Step Up for Stepping Strong is a month-long steps challenge supporting The Gillian Reny Stepping Strong Center for Trauma Innovation at Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
Established by Boston Marathon bombing survivors, The Stepping Strong Center fuels trauma research and care to benefit civilians and military personnel worldwide who have suffered from the devastation of traumatic injuries and events.
Q: When does the program take place?
A: Registration is open April 1-30, and the steps challenge is May 1-31 during National Trauma Awareness Month.
Q: Is there a cost to participate?
A: No. There is no individual fundraising or fitness tracker required to participate and the mobile-app used to administer the program is free.
Q: What are some of the incentives to participate?
A: The program provides many incentives to participate, such as:
- Helping to win a $100,000 donation to advance trauma research and patient care
- Weekly prize drawings for a Fitbits and Dick’s Sporting Goods gift cards
- Weekly access to health and wellness content from BWH health experts
- Honoring those who have been affected by trauma
Q: How do I register?
A: CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP! via the mobile app or on web.
- If prompted, input our organization code: STEPUP19
- Confirm you’re signing up as part of the Brigham and Women’s Hospital group
- Create an account and connect your fitness tracker or directly to the health app on your phone
- Scroll down to “Your Groups” section of the dashboard. Check the “Upcoming” tab to make sure you see the ‘Step Up for Stepping Strong’ challenge there
- If you don’t see an upcoming challenge, click the green “Join a group” button.
- Select the “Join a team” button and find your company to participate!
**If you’re joining as a general user and not as part of your company’s team, please join the Brigham and Women’s Hospital team!
Q: What is an organization code?
A:When you create your MoveSpring profile, this special code ensures you enter the Step Up for Stepping Strong challenge. This should auto-populate during registration, but if you are asked to input this code please use: STEPUP19.
Q: What is MoveSpring?
A:MoveSpring is a social fitness platform connecting diverse communities through challenges, activity data and healthy lifestyle content. When you join Step Up for Stepping Strong and connect your device, MoveSpring will automatically track your steps making participation simple and easy.
Q: What devices connect to MoveSpring?
A: MoveSpring offers cross device compatibility and supports most major fitness trackers, including:
- Android Phones (Android 4.2 or above) – Google Fit app (Android, Pebble, Xiaomi, and more)
- Apple Watch
- IPhone 5s and above
- Fitbit- Zip, One, Flex, Charge, Charge HR, Charge 2, Surge, Alta, Alta HR, Blaze, Versa,
and the MobileTracker app
- Garmin- vívofit, vívofit 2, vívosmart, vivosmart HR, vívoactive, vivokí, **
- Misfit – Flash Cyclist, Flash, Link, Ray, Shine, Shine2, Speedo Shine, Swarovski Activity Crystal
- Pebble- Classic, Steel, Time Round, Time Steel, Time
- Xiaomi- Mi Band
- Withings(Now Nokia)- Pulse, Pulse O2, Activité Pop, Activité, Activité Steel
Q: How do I connect my device?
A: When creating your profile, you will be prompted to connect your device (fitness tracker or health app on your phone). Simply follow the steps and you’re set! You can also find your device from the selection of options on this page and follow the directions to get everything set up.
Q: How does syncing work?
A: MoveSpring syncs your steps data from your device’s cloud server online (not directly from your device or the corresponding app). To sync your steps to MoveSpring you need to first make sure they’re available in the cloud.
To do this: open your device app on your phone. For example, open the Fitbit app. Pull down the screen to refresh (touch the top of the screen and drag your finger down) and this will push your data into the Fitbit cloud. Next, open the MoveSpring app and your steps will sync.
General Syncing Information:
To sync steps data into your MoveSpring account you will need to open the MoveSpring app on your phone, or go to the MoveSpring website and click the green Sync button at the top right. MoveSpring cannot sync your steps data if you do not open the MoveSpring app or website.
We recommend syncing several times a day to keep your data up to date in your challenges. All MoveSpring challenge groups have a 72-hour grace period after the group ends to give you extra time sync your final steps.
- How-to video for mobile syncing here: https://youtu.be/1-_dd6CINkU
- How-to video for syncing on web: https://youtu.be/DlFkQhbpWUc
Q: How will my name be displayed in the Step Up for Stepping Strong challenge?
A: Other challenge participants will only be able to see the username and avatar you create when setting up your MoveSpring profile.
Q: How do I edit my profile?
A: MoveSpring allows you to easily change your name, profile picture, username, email, password, and timezone, as well switch between showing your distance in kilometers or miles.
- How-to video for editing your profile in the mobile app: https://youtu.be/w4nHMq51V-I
- How-to video for editing your profile on web: https://youtu.be/S_vOVlSwR0o
Q: How do I edit my notification settings?
A: Push notifications send an alert to your notification center on your mobile device. This results in a pop-up message on your lock screen. Simply click this alert to be brought back into the MoveSpring app.
From here you can see the chat conversation you’ve missed, or engage with a piece of content just posted within your challenge group!
Go to your Profile tab, select the gear icon in the top right-hand corner to edit settings, scroll down and click on notification preferences and adjust as you’d like!
Q: Need help or have questions?
A: If you need help connecting or have questions on the platform, please contact MoveSpring’s customer support team at firstname.lastname@example.org
In the mobile app you can do so by going to “Profile” and click the gear icon in the upper right to access your settings. Click the green “Message Support” button to talk to MoveSpring and get help connecting.
Or you can always utilize the blue chat icon in the bottom right hand corner if you’re on the web.
Minimum Team Size
Should a team have less than the minimum of 3 users by May 10, 2019, the team will be deleted, and all members will be moved to the Brigham and Women’s Hospital team.
Users who have not synced their steps by May 10, 2019 will be removed from the challenge.