Make an Impact Today
The Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD) is a terrific way to make a tax-free gift to Brigham and Women’s Hospital using your qualified retirement plan.
How Do I Qualify?
- You must be 70½ years old or older at the time of the gift
- Gifts must go directly from your IRA to the Brigham
- Gifts must come from a traditional IRA account
- Gifts cannot exceed $100,000 per donor per year (married couples can give $200,000)
Benefits of a QCD
- If you don’t itemize, a QCD offers all the benefits of an income tax charitable deduction—your gift to the Brigham is tax-free
- Gifts can satisfy your RMD (if you are age 73 or older and required to take withdrawals from your IRA) without increasing your income taxes
- There is no charitable deduction but you will not pay taxes on your QCD withdrawal when gifted to the Brigham
- You may direct your gift to a hospital program or area of your choice
- It is a wonderful way to create an immediate impact in the lives of patients and their families
Your IRA administrator can help you make a qualified charitable distribution from your IRA. Contact your financial plan administrator to complete the necessary forms and comply with the procedures required to initiate a transfer directly to charity. Oftentimes, these forms can be completed online.
For more information, please review our Frequently Asked Questions or contact Kelly Gallagher, director of leadership giving, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617 352 2562.